Home Yellow Pages Classifieds Jobs Matrimonial News
Road Safety Digest
Prevention Better than Cure
For your Information
Safe riding recommendations for 2 wheeler riders
Precaution to be taken by driver at unguarded railway crossing
Penalties by R.T.O
Detainence by R.T.O
Power of Licence Authority
Licence at Glance
Validity of Licence
Pollution Standards
Motor Vehicle Insurance
Duty of Driver in case of Accident
Parking of your vehicle
Precautions to be taken before overtaking
Characters of a Good Rider
Signs & Signals
Road Demarcation Lines
Driving in Road Junction
Handling Signaling for Riding Vehicles
Traffic Light Signals
Mandatory Signs
Informatory Signs
Cautionary Signs
Traffic Police Signs
 Pollution Standards
Petrol Vehicle
CO emission by % volume
Diesel Vehicle
Smoke Density (Hartridge Unit)
Colour Of
PUC Certificate
Two Wheelers Four Wheelers Hartridge unit Validity of
PUC Certificate
Below 3% Below 1.5% Less than 50 HSU 6 months Green
3% to 4% 1.5% to 2.5% 50 to 60 HSU 4 months Yellow
4% to 4.5% 2.5% 50 3% 60 to 65 HSU 2 months Red
 Motor Vehicle Insurance

    The motor vehicle insurance certificate is a legal requirement as per Motor Vehicle ACT 1988 (see 146 & 147). It gives financial protection from accidental risk. It is very much dangerous and illegal to drive a motor vehicle without insurance.

Types of motor vehicle insurance:

Third party policy:

    This covers the risk or damages caused to the third person. Personal injuries and personal vehicle damages will not be covered by this policy. For two wheelers vehicles we can take this policy for life time. For other vehicles this policy has to be renewed annually. This is the cheapest available motor vehicle insurance policy. This policy can be renewed two months in advance of its expiry.

Comprehensive policy:

    This is a costly policy. It covers both personal and third party risk. We have to renew this policy annually, and it can be renewed two months in advance anywhere in India.

Duplicate insurance certificate:

     If the motor vehicle insurance certificate is lost or defaced, duplicate copy may be obtained by making an application to the concerned Insurance company branch by paying fees of Rs. 50/-.


    To obtain motor vehicle claims of an accident, one has to make detailed claim to the concerned insurance company. One who makes a claim application has to give following documents.

1) Valid driving licence.
2) Valid insurance certificate.
3) Valid registration certificate
4) Valid tax card
5) First information report (FIR)
6) Valid permit for a transport vehicle
7) Valid fitness certificate for transport vehicles
8) Claim estimation report by an authorised surveyor of the company.

Transfer of insurance:

    Third party insurance policy change automatically when the registered owner changes. In case of comprehensive policy an application is to be made for change of ownership in the policy.

 Duty of Driver in case of Accident

Since the medical aid within one hour of accident can save the life of many victims,

 Secure medical attention to the injured person in a golden hour.

 Inform the police.

 Inform the insurance company.

 Parking of your Vehicle
Do not park -
At or near a road crossing, abend, top of hill. Don't park at prohibited area
Near traffic light or pedestrian crossing.
Opposite another parked vehicle.
Along side another parked vehicle.
Near bus stop, school or hospital entrance.
On the wrong side of the road.
On a footpath.
Away from the edge of the footpath.
Where parking is prohibited
 Precaution to be taken before overtaking

 Do not overtake at build turns, corners, hill top.

  Do not overtake when indicated by traffic signals or road markings.

 Do not overtake when you are not confident of or have a doubt in your mind.

 Do not overtake unless driver ahead permits you to do so.

 Near bus stop, school or hospital entrance.

 On the wrong side of the road.

 On a footpath.

 Away from the edge of the footpath.

 Where parking is prohibited.